Sunday, June 04, 2006

Of Mice and Men

We've started to clean out our kitchen - amongst other things - in preparation for the move. Even still, there are a few items which passed the cleaning and have therefore been labeled must eats before we leave in a week and a half. That's how I found myself eating a small bit of hardened parmesan cheese just a few minutes ago. It's okay: it's not Kraft parmesan cheese that's been slowly galvanized down into a block from powder form. We get our cheese from Trader Joe's, and I routinely eat it every chance I get.

It continues to be hot here in Pasadena. I can hear children splashing and playing outside in our pool. We've been holed up like mice in a dark barn today ... except we've cracked and turned on the air conditioner in our bedroom. The fossil of a coolant system that is our air conditioner usually goes for about two hours max and then begins to pour out hot air. That and when you turn the thing on its like powering up a large, city-wide generator: lights dim for a brief moment, a power surge can be heard and large rumblings from the fan drown out all other noise in our bedroom.

Anna and I have already begun dreading our approaching flight back to Indiana. We feel a great need to apologize in advance to all the folks on the plane for Wyatt's screaming. Perhaps we could obtain a list from Northwest Airlines of the entire crew and planned flyers and issue some lengthy discourse on our gratitude for their understanding. I've also thought about offering my iPod to whomever shall have to sit next to us for the four hour flight - a minor gift of courtesy to ease their pain and suffering.

When it comes to flying, I personally cannot think of any greater misfortune than being seated next to a screaming baby. I've flown enough to have it happen more than once. So nowadays the second thing I pray for after a safe flight is for a quiet, uninterrupted seat. Well, check that. I guess for this plane ride the second thing I will pray is for a quiet Wyatt. And God bless the pour soul that is sitting in seat 15D.

Wes

1 comment:

Emrys said...

Every time I open a blog I do so with fear and trembling. Those of us who blog walk the ever-thinning line between obscure irrelevance and prattling mundanities. (I am sure that our own blog errs one way or the other with regularity.) Thank you, Wes, Anna, and Wyatt, for giving the world a blog that plumbs the depths of humanity in a clear, engaging, and humorous way. And thank you for reviving my taste for mmmmmm . . . donuts.