Monday, September 04, 2006

Ordained



I made it. I'm ordained. Above is a picture of my first sermon. Wyatt didn't seem to get the finer points of my eschatology, but he sure loved my analogies.

Also, here is a brief piece I wrote following the ordination. It is intended for the congregation.

It is good to give thanks to the Lord, to sing praises to your name, O Most High;
to declare your steadfast love in the morning, and your faithfulness by night – Psalm 92:1,2

Friends, it is good to give thanks to the Lord for all gifts, but it is particularly great to give thanks for the ordination and installation service this past Sunday. I certainly left the sanctuary with my heart in song – delighted by the rich community of friends and family, encouraged by the words from elders and pastors, nourished in prayer, inspired through song, surrounded by a chorus of brothers and sisters, and calmed by brilliant light cascading down into our lovely sanctuary, eager for fellowship and food. All this was great.

Occasionally, we have opportunity to create space so we can pause. An ordination and installation service is such a time, but there are others – including weekly worship on Sunday mornings. And anytime we pause to recognize God’s providential hand in our life, it is a sure guarantee thanks and song will rise to the surface. Pausing is an opportunity to reflect on how God has called you by name, prepared you, sent you and blessed you for God’s own glory. It is an opportunity to realize – as the Psalmist appropriately expresses – God often draws us near in the morning of our faith with lovingkindness. And when we arrive at the end of our journey in faith – at night – it is an opportunity to realize God’s faithfulness. We pause to give our life depth as well as to connect the fragments and seeming failures of our journey. We pause because life really can be a sacred venture if we are bold enough to stop and listen.

All this was true for me on Sunday evening, and I hope and trust that others benefited from this holy pause. Perhaps this pause allowed you to realize the Lord has called and equipped you for a special ministry. Perhaps you found Jonathan to be charging you as well as me. Although we are one body, there are many gifts.

Allow me one other thought from the ordination and installation service. In the weeks leading up to the service, I saw it as a conclusion, an end to a long journey physically, emotionally and spiritually. But upon entering the sanctuary, I could not escape this thought: life begins. Indeed! The richness of our time together is just beginning. And while the paths that led us together and the path that leads on into the future are not without their curves and bumps, it is wonderfully refreshing to have a launching pad of sorts.

Life begins. Thanks for pausing with me. I look forward to walking with you … and cutting the quick way to the Gospel for you.
~Wes

No comments: