Saturday, January 26, 2008

Emotions

Anna told me today that the hormones are in over-drive these days as "Little Two" is in the works. She mentioned this while we watched the Kentucky Wesleyan boys basketball team play. The starting line-up music practically brought tears to her eyes, and the pep band was just unfair - like putting a toy before a toddler and telling him not to play with it.

I thought about how much emotions overwhelm her during pregnancy, and - though she might hate me for saying it - I love it. There is such a raw beauty and humanity in all of it.

Just recently, I listened to some music that moved me. I was emotionally impacted.

All this made me realize how unique our generation is compared to - say - my grandparents. Their's was an age of productivity, where the quality of your life was dependent upon the effect of your efforts. For my generation, it seems that the quality of our life is to be found in how our efforts affect our emotions. Does our life feel right? Do we truly enjoy our work? Does the movie move me to a point of new humanity and self-awareness.

There was a time when the greatest form of worship was to join a chorus of voices to produce a loud assembly of praise. Now: the greatest sign of worship is a movement not of the masses, but into the sacred, emotive realms of the heart, whereby God is moving and we are moved. Maybe we are pregnant with some form of hope.

Wes

No comments: