Friday, March 06, 2009

Best of 2008 - #6

The Deer’s Cry – Shaun Davey

I’m sitting in a small room with the door and windows open; jasmine and sea-breeze come streaming in and I am intoxicated with the scents. I have come from Indiana for a week-long stay on a hill over-looking the Pacific Ocean, and I cannot get beyond this: the desert hills of Southern California are drowning in aroma.

I am coming alive again – breathing in life and refreshment. As I’m doing so, a wise soul who pastors nearby in the fanciful world of Laguna Beach is speaking to myself and a handful of others. He is from Texas, so his voice is sure and deep, and his eyes are a water-mist of pain and hope. You can see his love for God and God’s people in those eyes – an ocean of years and prayers and struggles and joys and hopes.

He’s talking to us about the need to find ways to go deeper, to find wells of life and love to sustain us in life. And, he has brought with him a CD. He mentions a prayer from St. Patrick, the “Breastplate”. The prayer itself is held in high regard by Celtic people, and is likely older even than the Saint who brought the Christian faith to the isles of Ireland. A prayer for travelers, perhaps? It is also known as “The Deer’s Cry”.

I have read this prayer before – heard it even. Another pastor friend once spoke it aloud over the dust and before the rising of the sun south of Tijuana as we prepared to enter a Mexican slum to improve a house. It is a grand prayer. But, as the jasmine and sea-breeze circled the room this day, “The Deer’s Cry” came alive.

In 1983, Shaun Davey – a composer and director – was given the text of “St. Patrick’s Breastplate”, and immediately he began preparations to make it sing. That seemed wise, for it was likely a song to begin with. Later, he discovered Rita Connolly, the woman whose voice he knew needed to sing the prayer, and in 1990 Rita and Shaun developed it for a Granada TV documentary titled, “Who Bombed Birmingham”. Later still Shaun managed to get Rita to perform the song as part of a larger work by Shaun titled, “The Pilgrim” – a series of Celtic traditional songs, prayers and poems. That was all that was needed. Since then, it has become a tremendously successful and oft-requested song. Unfortunately, that is in Europe, and it has not found popular success in America as easily.

You won’t be able to hear song here. All the clips I found come no where near the quality of the cd version, and this song is one of those that needs to be heard in all of its beauty and transcendence (I will include the prayer at the end of this post). Buying the CD would be worth it (click here). But, I just wish I could sit you down in that room in the high hills of that monastery where I first heard it. Oh, the goodness, the sweetness and protection!

Wes



The Deer's Cry or St. Patrick's Breastplate

I arise today through the strength of heaven.
Light of sun, radiance of moon,
splendor of fire, speed of lightning,
swiftness of wind, depth of the sea
stability of the earth, firmness of rock.

I arise today through God’s strength to pilot me,
God’s eye to look before me,
God’s wisdom to guide me,
God’s way to lie before me,
God’s shield to protect me,
from all who shall wish me ill
afar and a near
alone and in a multitude.

Against every cruel, merciless power
that may oppose my body and soul.

Christ with me.
Christ before me.
Christ behind me.
Christ in me.
Christ beneath me.
Christ above me.
Christ on my right.
Christ on my left.
Christ when I lie down.
Christ when I sit down
Christ when I arrive.
Christ to shield me.
Christ in the heart of everyone who thinks of me.
Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks of me.

I arise today.

No comments: