Tuesday, May 05, 2009

quilting

A little less than a year ago, I picked up Amy Karol's Bend the Rules Sewing and saw her "Easy Lap Quilt" -- I loved how fresh and modern it looked -- something I hadn't previously thought possible for quilts. I loved it and began wondering if I could get into this "quilt thing." I had an excellent resource in Owensboro, and I contacted my friend Janice, a quilter, soon thereafter. She gave me tons of good info and even took me to the closest quality fabric store with modern prints. I used my birthday money last year for lots of fun fabric, whatever I could find (usually through Sew Mama Sew or Repro Depot).

The above quilt is with some fabric that I absolutely love: Alexander Henry's Coriander. It's my fourth lap quilt and will be opened by Elise on her first birthday on the 21st...I didn't use a pattern, and really it borders on a whole-cloth quilt. If I did it again, I might do the quilting a bit different, but all in all, I'm happy to hand it over to Little Two for posterity.

Below is a picture of the whole quilt:

5 comments:

emily said...

Yay, Anna! That looks great! I am excited to see your work and so happy to see your quilt in "person"...Little E will love it. Maybe I will be take a shot sometime soon, too!
It was great seeing Wes...and you were missed!
love,
emily

Wes and Anna Kendall said...

Thanks, Em!

danielle said...

You're the coolest person on the planet! I think the fabric looks like alien flowers--in a very good way. Todd says you're dope.

Julie said...

I love it...so impressed that you don't use a pattern. Better be careful...quilting can be quite an addiction! Glad to know that you've joined the quilting group. Elise will love it! Much love to all my little cousins....Julie

Gayle said...

Very Cool. I love Alexander Henry fabrics - my boys' bedding is the "2D Zoo" (though not made by me, sigh). Anyway, great job! I've always wanted to make a quilt. Maybe in the next decade I'll try. :)