Thursday, April 29, 2010

labor of love

For those of you who are curious, here are a few pictures of the birds in the finished coop. It feels so good to have it completed.


The overall dimensions are 12x8, the door clearance is just a bit over 5 foot - 5'4", maybe. The dolly we're using is on the back enclosed end, and in order to move it, we take the wheels out of their 'storage' position on the front and slide them into braces on each of the bottom corners.


The inside has four nest boxes on the back wall, a hanging waterer, and two three-foot feeders (PVC with the top 1/3 cut out) secured to each bottom side. This means I don't have to take anything out of the pen to move it. The branch you see is their perch, and the top corner is open and wired for ventilation.


They love it - and I (Anna) really can move it by myself - at least forward and back, anyway. By my calculations, it can accommodate 24 birds...though that seems like quite a few. I'm content with eight...for this season.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You must be thrilled to have the coop finished!! It really looks great. Can't wait to see your next project!

Alisha

danielle said...

This is awesome. Nice work. I'd call it less hippie and more like the most modern cool chicken coop I've ever seen or imagined. Me and your birds both eat dandelion greens. :)

Wes and Anna Kendall said...

Thanks, ladies! Yes, I'm glad you're all doing your part with the dandelions - because I'm pretty sure they're on the verge of taking over the earth at the moment. :)

Lara said...

My goodness, I think you have built a chicken condo not a coop!