Tuesday, October 04, 2005

A Little Help From My Friends

Alas, after completing seminary, I have dreams of an endless future complete with no more written assignments. But just when I begin to taste this freedom, along comes another assignment. The latest task is to write a series of essays to be included in my resume for the Presbyterian Church (USA). They're not big, mind you, but to lighten the severity of the blow I am hoping to get a little feedback on one of the questions, which is: What are the key theological issues currently facing the church and society, and how do they shape your ministry?

I would love to hear your thoughts on this subject, so please feel free to post a comment. Feel free to also deride my own answers as ridiculous, philosophical or so much blah, blah, blah (see below).

I believe recent history in America has shown a blurring between church and culture, especially regarding political and social issues. And while I do believe it is important for the church to work for the transformation of society, I also believe this cannot be done without maintaining Christian distinctives. Maintaining these particulars is done, I believe, by keeping the modern church linked to the historical Church. This belief shapes my own ministry in that I support older practices in worship. I do not believe these are the sole source of worship, but I do believe they are not to be omitted. Thus, my ministry will be intent on preserving the Reformed tradition even as I seek to address 21st Century issues.

Another significant issue facing the church and society is consumerism. It is becoming ever more convenient to view the world as a place of exchange and personal welfare. And in such a world, the idea of covenant and the life of discipleship are being challenged by the idea of contract and the life of buyer/seller. Thus, it is extremely important that the church maintain Christian worship as a life of devotion, not an experience to be consumed. Therefore, my ministry will be intent on uplifting Christianity as a new life and faith as an act of discipleship. I will also encourage or challenge people to be consumed by Christ rather than “consuming church” as a moral or social action.

yada yada ...

Wes

1 comment:

Roberto Iza Valdés said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.