Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Kids Need Stability

I met with several teenagers at the hospital today, all living in the throws of confusion, loneliness, and anger. One male tearful over the gang-life he finds himself in, another who lamented the lack of emotional response and trust from his mom. Two girls, each of whom had lost their mothers in the last year, and one other girl, living with a friend because she hated the repeating pattern of separation and reuniting that her parents regularly engaged in.

I am just amazed at the way all teenagers I talk with long for constancy, for something stable and lasting. And I remember how tumultuous those years were for me, and I can't imagine trying to survive them on my own, as so many of these children do.

A big thank you to all of you who were the "fixtures" during my teenage years ...

Anna

No comments: