Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Simon Peter's journal

"Six days later, Jesus took with him Peter and James and his brother John and led them up a mountain, by themselves. And he was transfigured before them, and his face shone like the sun, and his clothes became dazzling white. Suddenly there appeared to them Moses and Elijah, talking with him. Then Peter said to Jesus, 'Lord, it is good for us to be here; if you wish, I will make three dwellings here, one for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah. While he was still speaking, suddenly a bright cloud overshadowed them, and from the cloud a voice said, 'This is my Son, the Beloved; with him I am well pleased; listen to him!' When the disciples heard this, they fell to the ground and were overcome by fear. But Jesus came and touched them, saying, 'Get up and do not be afraid.' And when they looked up, they saw no one except Jesus himself alone." - Matthew 17:1-8

I went to the mountain never knowing I was going to see the glory of God in flesh and blood, but I did go with anxious steps - anxious to touch, taste and see Your marvels, Lord. I was eager ... I am ever eager to feel Your magnificence crowd into this world. For some reason, You consented this time, at least in part. You told our patriarch, Moses, we could not see you with the naked eye, only the passing of your glory. I was fascinated by this - fascinated You would tickle our fancy with a brush of Your power and potency.

But, now, to be on the other side of such glory ... where do I begin? When it happened I could only sputter nonsense, but even now I have nothing better to say! On the mountain, that is where sense became senseless; I became intoxicated with light, overpowered with substance. Where was I to go from Your magnitude, and, yet, to be hidden was my utmost desire. I was consummed. My speculation solidified into awe - my hope into dread. My thirst for knowledge of You became an incapacity to even swallow a drop. Fear told me to hide; Your radiance pulled me in, and I would have been left in the limbo of repulsion and attraction had it now been for Your touch. For where there was no hope of remaining on common ground with You, You became mercy on the mountain - exchanging glory for more common garb. You touched me not with the iron rod of heaven's thunder but rather with the simple, meek hand of a human. I too was transformed, Lord - from the stone of contrition to the flesh of relief and gratitude.

I came to the mountain to see Your glory; You came to introduce me to grace - manifesting mercy with gentle words. I looked high only to have you pick me up.

No comments: