Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Teddy

So I'm trying to read something that isn't environmental or political non-fiction.  My mom got this book for me and I hesitated.  I did do my fifth grade President's report on Theodore Roosevelt, and I vaguely remember being impressed at the time, but come on, Mom.  Why read about the guy now?  Plus, the cover had me skeptical...it looked sort of...fluffy.  

I started it anyway.  And now I can't. put. it. down.  Amazing.  Let me say, I'm a total loser when it comes to history.  I learned more SNL skits in that class is high school than anything else, so I usually leave the history stuff to Wes -- he loves it and has always soaked it up like a sponge. This is the first historical narrative book I've read and I'm finding it fascinating.  More than that, though, the book is scary.  I mean, I'm literally fearful as I put myself in the shoes of TR's expedition as they travel unpreparedly through a completely uncharted path of the Amazon. Since beginning the book, I've also found this NPR segment on it and a great (brief) summary of the expedition from PBS here

~Anna

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um, yes, SNL skits...and then there was the Social Studies teacher that told us that she washed her meat before she cooked it to get the estrogen out (she didn't want it to turn her son gay). Oh, the joys of rural Indiana education.

Wes and Anna Kendall said...

Whoa, I didn't remember that one...yikes.

~Anna