Thursday, August 21, 2008

At Home

It doesn't get any more domestic than this, folks...

First off, a little sewing.  I've been having lots of fun trying my hand at clothing for the kids -- so far, some pj pants for Wyatt, and a kimono top that he sported at the Multicultural Festival this year, but that will get wide-spread use.  I got the pattern from Habitual, but changed some minor things and added the arm patch with that oh-so-cool plastic belt buckle from who-knows-when.  



Secondly, but perhaps more predominantly, lots of preserving.  Freezing, drying, and canning of the summer's bounty.  As much as I enjoy doing this and the feeling I get of being connected to generations before me doing the same, I really don't like preserved food.  Doing this work almost brings me to tears (seriously), thinking about having no fresh food in a matter of months.  I hate winter here perhaps for the sole reason that there is a period of time when there is NO FRESH PRODUCE.  At least not locally, which we all know by now is the only way to go.  If you have doubts about that, you can request an informational post from me in the comments section!  In any case, I do what I have to do.

Lastly, I really am getting the occasional moment in the "art room," which houses both my supplies as well as Wyatt's.  It lacks work space right now, but I'm just happy to finally have it organized, thanks to my mom's inspiration and reworking of her own studio space.  We have traded and repurposed many a storage container between the two of us, which meant I didn't end up buying anything new for the entire space!  Hooray for that.

All this combined with getting the daily laundry on the line, keeping Elise fed, changed, and slept, as well as filling in for Wes these last few weeks on the basketball court with Wyatt ("Airball, Mom...") has been keeping me busy...and aware of my limitations.

~Anna

3 comments:

Sara said...

This sounds so familiar! I've been "picking & packing" herbs this week with tomatos promising to be ripe very soon! My sewing projects have been put in a stack for November when gardening and candles are done for the season :)
~sara

Anonymous said...

The kimono top looks adorable! I love the fabric and the arm patch!

Wes and Anna Kendall said...

Sara -- great to know there are others in the same boat!

Habitual -- thank you, thank you. You've inspired me to keep creative even while little ones are under-foot!

~Anna