Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Funny and True

"There was even a Transcendental commune, but it was short-lived (as communes filled with intellectuals usually are)." - from Our Gods Wear Spandex:  The Secret History of Comic Book Heroes (Christopher Knowles with illustrations by Joseph Michael Linsner), which I have been reading while watching Heroes at home with Anna.  Drew gave us Season 1 to watch.  Must say:  great television.  But, the overall premise of the show has been buggin' me.  So, now I'm into researching the history of comic book superheroes and trying (key word) to see connections (and disconnections) between superheroes and the global, dislocated economy.

But as I playfully pursue that relationship, I'm gaining all kinds of useless knowledge, like:  Did you know that Freemasons are supposedly derivatives of The Knights Templar and Egyptian mystery cults?  Whoa.  Me neither.

Wes

No comments: