Tuesday, November 18, 2008

To Be or Not To Be ... That is the First Directive of Leadership

"The key to successful spiritual leadership, therefore, with success understood not only as moving people toward a goal, but also in terms of the survival of the family (and its leader), has more to do with the leader's capacity for self-definition than with the ability to motivate others." - Ed Friedman, Generation to Generation

The easiest thing to do is to do; the hardest thing in life is to be.  Lately, I have a had a hard time with both of them, and it is because I'm trying to figure out the "being" part.  I find myself transfixed at moments, searching, wondering ... "who the hell am I?"

A group has invited me to write an autobiography - including statements about my beliefs.   Only religious groups would have the audacity to demand such a thing.  Only egotistical, romantic idiots like me think they can actually answer their demand ... in a matter of days.  Anyhow, that invitation was the snowflake that has become an avalanche descending upon me - leaving me frozen in dread and seriousness.  

You know the damnable thing about being human?  No one can do it for you.  Only you can be yourself.  I have some really entrenched (and - obviously - valuable) opinions about who my wife, my children, my parents, my boss, my friends and my church should be.  But as for me, well, shoot, I can't really decide who I am.  Let's begin with this:  whoever God calls me to "lead", I will have to do so while using creative writing.  That will - at least - help stall that ever looming "being" question for a while.

Wes

No comments: