Sunday, July 22, 2007

Frisky Business


At approximately 4:50 pm on Friday, July 20th, this white feline committed the serious offense of voluntary bunny-slaughter. Authorities are seeking any information in connection with the case and believe that the cat prowls the 1800-2200 block of Griffith Avenue.

Although local authorities have yet to apprehend the suspect, they continue to work with Wes, Anna and Wyatt Kendall who witnessed the murder first hand.

"I was mowing the lawn," Mr. Kendall said, "preparing for a barbecue on our property that evening. While working my way towards the back half of the property, I stumbled upon a baby rabbit, which I mistook at first for a very large mole. But, upon realizing it was a fuzzy bunny, I immediately thought of Wyatt, my son, who loves animals. So, scooping up the bunny into my hands, I proceeded back towards the house. Calling out to Anna and Wyatt, I first noticed the feline encroaching upon our yard, but I thought nothing more of the intrusion."

Mr. Kendall went on to explain that his family took great delight in observing the cuddly little creature; Wyatt especially enjoyed the show, although he never did realize it was a rabbit but instead continuously made the sign for "bird."

During this brief animal exhibition, Mr. Kendall claims he accidentally dropped the bunny rabbit some four feet from the ground. Upon landing on the concrete, the rabbit withered in shock and pain, but both Mr. and Mrs. Kendall claimed that the rabbit was not dead. Their son had no comment - preferring to make more signs for "bird" and "doggy," which of course led the authorities on a wild goose chase all over town.

Mrs. Kendall went on to explain the rest of the tragedy.

"I was already crushed and bewildered at how my husband could let the rabbit slip from his hands. But what I saw next is something I will never forget. It makes me shudder just to recall the memory. Wes was seeking to nurse the rabbit back into some form of life - stroking its head and gently prodding it to move through the grass. At first the rabbit didn't respond, but then, maybe after a minute or two, the rabbit began to crawl and then wiggle its way forward. It even took a few minor hops true to character. But it was all just a bitter cruelty. Wham! From out of the flower bed, that cat pounced upon the rabbit, swooping it up into its mouth with two quick flicks of its paws."

"I, of course, was horrified. My son witnessed all of this, no more than three feet away. I turned immediately away from the bloodshed, covering Wyatt's face and trying not to think too long about the rabbit's left over kidneys lying somewhere in the yard. That rabbit should not have died, not that way."

Authorities also spent a good deal of time thoroughly pressing and questioning Mr. Kendall. "I don't think they honestly believed my story at first," Mr. Kendall explained. "They thought I had killed the rabbit and buried him in the garden. Never. You know I went back to mowing the lawn after the shock wore off, and you know what I saw? The mother rabbit. That's right - searching aimlessly and confused. I have to live with that. I have to try and sleep with the awful reality that I somehow set into motion events that led to this bunny's death. Let me tell you, that's not an easy reality to live with. No, I didn't kill the bunny, but I helped; and I will have to suffer that painful truth for the rest of my life."

If you have any information regarding this crime, please contact McGruff the Crime Dog.

No comments: