Monday, July 23, 2007

Woodworking Advice, Please!

I, Anna, am determined to build an art table. I want a table to work on that I can keep in the house and will house my paints, fabrics, wire, tools, and found objects in a neat, sleek way. I need a table that I can leave a "work-in-progress" out on, but not have to look at when we have company for dinner. I need a cool table with a removable cover a couple of inches deep and some significant storage area. Here's the general idea I've got so far:

25" deep, 29" tall, 58" wide, and about a 3" deep split-top cover on 360 degree hinges to hang at the sides of the table when not in use.

So, how do I do this?? Is it even possible? What do I use? I thought about MDF, but am afraid of splintering it. Keeping in mind it has to fit with a more modern style decor...I'd love to hear any ideas from those of you in the know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anna, I love the design you have sketched. Having built a few pieces like this it can be tricky. Have you found 360 hinges? Most hinges readily available go like 180. I thought it might work better having the 3" top swing up hinged at the back of the desk. Then you could line it with cork and use it to pin up ideas, sketches, etc and you could use conventional hinges found at the hardware store like a 4' long piano hinge. I love MDF; smooth, no grain, takes paint well, and is very cost-effective. Down sides may not last 10 years and can be heavy. The trickiest part of your design is the cabinet doors on the storage. Well don't want to get into too much detail, but you can totally do a clean minimal craft center! If you have specific ? feel free to send us an e-mail. Manish

Wes and Anna Kendall said...

Manish was right-on about the cabinets -- nix those. I'll go with open cubes at the bottom, I think...the hinges are definitely a problem. Anybody got any laying around?